• Peter Bateman
    In the Sept/Oct edition of Safeguard we pose three questions based on stories in the magazine. One of them is this:

Mike Hargreaves outlines how commercial road transport regulation is shared between NZTA, Police and WorkSafe. Given the high number of road deaths involving trucks, how well is regulation working? How to improve it?

Feel free to respond here on the Forum, or privately here via a Survey Monkey form.

An edited selection of responses will be published in the Nov/Dec edition, but with no names attached. One randomly selected person will receive a prize, namely a copy of the book Are We Learning From Accidents? by Nippin Anand.
  • MGNZ
    Can you share the actual statistics showing the disproportional number of road deaths caused by trucks?
  • MGNZ
    As someone involved in an industry where commercial trucks (tippers) are often used I would say the regulation has huge room for improvement. Personally I believe traffic safety took a huge step backwards with the amalgamation of the Traffic Safety Division of the MOT with the NZ Police. We went from two Auckland Councils with their own Traffic Officer departments plus the MOT Traffic Officers and Harbour Bridge Traffic Officers to a very scaled down Traffic Safety branch within the NZ Police although they do have a commercial vehicles branch. Bring back MOT Trafffic officers I say!
  • Peter Bateman
    No statistics to share, sorry. The question says "high", not "disproportionate", but it's an interesting question.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.