• MattD2
    Does anyone have access to the definition of a confined space in AS/NZS 2865-2001. Either a copy of the relevant page in the definition section or some other suitably reliable resource that includes the 2001 definition.

Background is that I have some work regarding confined spaces and want to provide some background on the current accepted definition as per WorkSafe NZ's guidelines that AS 2865 is the current accepted standard (i.e that we should follow AS 2865-2009 not AS/NZS 2865-2001 which is still the current standard in the NZ Standards catalogue).
    Looking through a few resources available online (e.g. company / council management systems documentation) confined space standards are a complete mess with people referring to both the 2001 joint standard and the 2009 Australian Standard (and even some making up that there is an AS/NZS 2865-2009 standard). Even the NZISM H&S Standards package include the "outdated" joint standard. So I am wanting to clarify some of this confusion for the client but need some solid references to use. I only need the 2001 AS/NZS definition as I have the 2009 standard.
  • Sam M
    Hi Matt - I attached a snip of the definition from the standard.
    Attachment
    Screenshot 2023-06-01 155327 (127K)
  • MattD2
    Thanks Sam, really appreciate that.
  • David Sopp
    Hi Matt have a look in the front of AS2865 -2009 , you will see the attached in the Preface. At the time both Standards NZ & Dept Labour (now worksafe), agreed that this standard would supersede the AS?NZS 2001 standard
    Attachment
    AS 2865-2009 (96K)
  • MattD2
    Thanks for the extra info David.

It's frustrating that, while it was an intentional move by Standards NZ to drop 2865 as a joint standard and leave Australia to solely take the reigns on it, they didn't take the final step and actually discontinue the 2001 joint standard version from their catalogue.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.