• Sarah Becker
    We are reviewing our D&A testing policy and I came across a clause that says if you test positive during pre-employment testing you would be ineligible to apply for a role again for 2 years.
    Feels a bit extreme and our thinking is to change this to say something like would be dealt with on a case by case basis/risk assessed etc. rather than mandatory stand down.
    What, if anything do you all have in place?
  • Aaron Marshall
    My biggest issue with someone failing a pre-employment drug test is that is shows extremely poor judgement; that they are willing to try to get away with pushing the boundaries. Is that the sort of personality trait that you want in someone working for you?

Within the aviation industry, it's pretty much a deal-breaker. Although I wouldn't be surprised if some employers would take a much different view if someone fronted up about it and was under a plan for eliminating use.
  • Don Ramsay
    I agree with the above statement, and I would not have a written policy as it leaves you open if not done correctly. If someone fails pre-employment I just do not employ them and leave it there if they subsequently reapply I would use judgment to determine if they progress further.
  • TracyRichardson
    I agree with Don on this issue. It depends on the risk profile of the job and assessment made at the time of application
  • Sarah Becker
    Thanks team, that aligns with our thinking nicely, will amend our policy accordingly.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.