• Peter Bateman
    In the July/August edition of Safeguard magazine we pose three questions based on stories in the magazine. One of them is this:

Associate Professor Ian Laird calls for more funding so more H&S research can be carried out in New Zealand universities. Which specific areas of H&S do you think would most benefit from more research evidence?

Feel free to respond here on the Forum, or privately here via a Survey Monkey form.

An edited selection of responses will be published in the Sept/Oct edition, but with no names attached. One randomly selected person will receive a prize, namely a copy of the book Do Safety Differently, by Sidney Dekker and Todd Conklin.
  • deepak Selvaratnam
    Estimated 2/3rds of Kiwis are remote / hybrid working - opportunity to truly understand H&S and mental health impacts , prevention and management
  • Prof Joanne Crawford
    Agree completely with Ian but important that we work with industry to co-design useful and usable research.
  • Stephen Small
    Bio-medical effects of cumulative fatigue in those on-call (especially how much thier subsequent descision making is impacted).
  • Chris Peace
    I also agree with Ian.
    Applying rigorous research will yield evidence to inform policy but, as an academic, I admit a conflict of interest!
    Some of my wish-list research titles follow.
    How can small and medium-sized businesses be helped to integrate better business practices with effective OHS?
    How can messages about OHS and productivity reach the PCBUs that are hard to reach?
    Contracting with large PCBUs to manage OHS in their suppliers and customers: possibilities, costs and benefits.
    Helping sector groups to develop their own OHS standards: possibilities, costs and benefits.
    Worker fatigue at the margins of the economy: who pays, who should pay?
    Are there common factors that link victims of workplace harm? [NB: this is not the same as so-called accident-prone people]
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment