• Peter Bateman
    In the Sept/Oct edition of Safeguard magazine we pose three questions based on stories in the magazine. One of them is this:

A number of income survey respondents said they had quit after encountering resistance at executive level to the changes they felt necessary.
    How best to detect these situations in advance, such as during the job interview before you accept a H&S role?

Feel free to respond here on the Forum, or privately here via a Survey Monkey form.

An edited selection of responses will be published in the Nov/Dec edition, but with no names attached. One randomly selected person will receive a prize, namely a copy of the book Work, Health and Wellbeing in the Construction Industry, by Helen Lingard and Michelle Turner.
  • Steve Schroder
    Usually if you are in the role it is fairly easy to detect change so i will not comment on that, however, at the interviewing stage, this is something that as consultants you have to learn to gauge quickly.
    People need to remember that interviewing is a two way street (in fact if i am interviewing for a new staff member, a person who doesn't ask questions of me gets disregarded as a candidate due to not being able to come up with questions on the fly and be able to articulate these in an appropriate manner).
    Ask questions of the management such as what changes have happened during the last 12 months, and listen to their response. then ask questions about roadblocks and how these were overcome, I find that, that sort of questioning goes a long way to giving me a gauge on how the company manages change and how resistent they could be.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.