• Claire
    Can anyone please point me in the direction of where to find correct dimensions for a one unit steps (4 steps up to a platform and 4 steps down other side with safety rails) . I am looking for information regarding recommended sizing of step in depth, height and width. The steps are closed in at the back not open. Not a ladder as such but a fixed to the ground up and over steps.
    thanks
    Claire
  • KeithH
    @Claire
    Look up the NZ Building Code Clause D. This link is to external stairs.
    There is no width dimension - minimum or maximum - in NZ. Usually that is dependent on construction methods and materials used. Use and maximum weight limits will also be a factor.

Alternatively, consider a design by a suitably qualified engineer.

No charge this time
  • Claire
    Thank you Keith this will help :-)
  • Don Ramsay
    there are a lot of variables but you can contact one of our in-house engineers for advice.
  • KeithH
    @Claire you are welcome. :smile:
  • Sarah Becker
    There is a standard for platforms, stairs and guardrails that gives good guidance on design, construction etc.
    https://www.standards.govt.nz/shop/nzsas-16571992/
  • Mandy Gudgeon
    Claire as per Building Code although I think this sounds like this is outside???,
    Stair risers max 180mm - need to be of consistent height
    Stair treads minimum of 310mm
    Handrail - parallel to the pitch line of the stairs.
    Handrail Height between 900 - 1000mm (should not project into the path of travel at the base of the steps.)
    Landings are generally 12000m, but this sounds like it is a unique situation and your steps are spanning something.
    If muddy boots or potentially a slippery surface, suggest non slip edging.
  • Rowly Brown
    Hi Mandy.
    Chasing after standards etc can be an expensive business, and trawling through the Building Code equally dissatisfying. The attached publication is sadly no longer produced by Worksafe. They should hang their heads in shame that it is no longer available, even in archives. It gives the design specs for all manner of safe access systems. An excellent ready-reference publication. Just one of so many useful Guides previously available in the OSH library. Contact me directly if you have a question. I might have something in my library!
    Attachment
    Fall Prevention (1M)
  • Steve H
    The attached publication is sadly no longer produced by Worksafe. They should hang their heads in shame that it is no longer available, even in archives. It gives the design specs for all manner of safe access systems. An excellent ready-reference publication. Just one of so many useful Guides previously available in the OSH library.Rowly Brown

True that Rowly,much useful info, even if they cite laws and regulations that have been superseded
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.