• Andrew
    "Worksafe here - we'd like to come and do an inspection"

What do you reckon I should do?

I'm thinking nothing.
  • Stephen Small
    Don't panic, and treat them like you would want to be treated if you were the inspector!

I have always had positive and even-handed interactions with WorkSafe, even when we didn't quite come up to scratch (currently closing off an Improvement Notice) - They will point you in the right direction, but don't expect any specific detailed technical guidance.
  • Peter Bateman
    (In your best Cockney voice) "Fair cop, guv'nor."
    And plead guilty. :smile:
  • Rowly Brown
    As Stephen said. Be respectful, but don’t expect them to necessarily know much about your business operation. You’ll likely get 2 turn up, a reasonably experienced inspector and a relative newbie who’s learning. Take the opportunity to quietly educate them about your business / industry and it’s challenges. They (WorkSafe) have a confused and inconsistent understanding / interpretation of “risk” so be prepared to / take the opportunities to - explain why the way hazards are managed on your site might legitimately be different to the site they just visited elsewhere.
  • Don Ramsay
    Had that call, as long as you are confident everything will be fine, I take the position that they have a job to do, and if I make it hard it could go poorly. Treat them civilly and with respect, they will in return the favour. Only once have I had an inspector just be unreasonable and am glad to say that he is no longer doing the job.
  • Stuart Keer-Keer
    That all depends on the status of your safety management system. If you are on this forum there is a good chance you are doing something rather than nothing.

If you have good systems in place, you can just chill out. Have a cold shower to give you lots of dopamine.

If it is a good auditor the end result will be they give you ideas to improve your safety systems which means your business will be safer and stronger.
  • Brian Rowland
    Having been an inspector (not the one Don is referring to) I would suggest that you treat it like a free audit on your HS systems you have in place. True they might not know about your business but a good inspector will be there to educate first and should add value to what ever you have in place. Be open an honest and don't be afraid to ask questions.
  • Alex
    Let them know any PPE requirements for your site in advance and prepare to induct them to the site when they get there
  • Amanda
    Ask them what type of coffee they want from the cafe.

The more you are polite and work with them, the more understanding and lenient they actually are to you. If they find an improvement, and it is clear you have not noticed it before, they look at it more as a learning opportunity for the business. If it is clear you know about it, and have no plan or just don't care about it, that is when they can get nasty. If you have a plan and reasonably cannot do anything about it at this time, ask if they have any recommendations that you can look into. It shows you are open, willing to do research and look for a solution, and not just writing it off as 'too bad'.

Welcome them in, make them a coffee, hand out some biscuits and use the opportunity as a free H&S session for the company to add value. In our experience, WorkSafe have a education mindset, over a handing out fines mindset. We often take our local inspector out for a coffee and chat about any issues we are scratching our heads over.
  • Steve Schroder
    agree with Amanda comments. treat them as you would any other visitor. if they find something, then great learn from it, move on. if they find something critical, be glad they saw it if you did not already know about it.
    most WSNZ inspectors are great to talk to once you get to know them. treat them as you would like to be treated.
  • Andrew
    Well, As I don't like to use safety as a make work scheme I decided to do nothing. Nothing whatsoever. Not a moment was spent in preparation. Anywhere. By anyone.

I turned on the usual charm which doesn't extend so far as tea and biscuits.

We had a chat and a wander and I Ieft him to stroll where ever he wanted and talk to whoever he liked..

And the result? Nothing.

No prohibition Notices. No improvement notices, no suggested improvements. No tips or hints or ideas. Nada.

Job done!
  • Steve H
    As it should be if you are already doing what you say you do H&S wise, and what you say you do, meets or exceeds your industry norms and standards :cheer:
  • James Ashby
    Some of our work areas are very visible publicly (25% Work area) on number of occasions work safe vehicles would stop and observe work being carried out by our employee's.
    Prompted me to contact the local Worksafe office and invited them on site.

Also, you had confidence in your Employees safe work practices, they were not aware work safe was coming onsite.
    I was confident of our safety processes.- invited them to inspect all areas not sited publicly. Went well couple of suggestions were offered by work safe.

James
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.