• Sandra Nieuwoudt
    There are a lot about train your people leaders how to have safety conversations.
    But how will it look like?
    What do you have in place (a guide) that works well apart from asking these questions:
    - what what's your number 1 risk?
    - do you think that our H&S is fit for purpose?
    - any suggestions for improvement?

Background is that we had a notifiable event with falling equipment causing a concussion.This was totally preventable as the supervisor was informed of a frail cable and did nothing about it etc.
    Safety culture needs to improve - that I know but our Board Members are now concerned and want a sorts of checklist - my opinion is at their level their walkaround/safety conversations should not go down to that level.

What we currently do is they do a walk around with a H&S Rep and shown a processes with the concept Work as Imagined vs Work as Done. But we have board member (HR, IT, Finance) they have no experience with regards to analytical testing or what to look for or what to ask.

Many thanks for any input.
    Sandra
  • Stephen Small
    Hi Sandra

We are in a similar place with regard to Director or Executive Manager site visits, we are still very immature (they have only been doing this for 12 months), but extremely willing to improve.
    I have attached our form - page 2 is the most relevant regarding what you are asking!

Cheers
    Stephen
    Attachment
    Director Site Visit report (98K)
  • Matthew Bennett
    Hi Sandra,

I've attached a tool similar to Stephen's that was developed for the Exec and Senior Leaders of the business I worked for at the time. Sitting behind the tool was multiple conversations / coaching sessions emphasizing the need for them to be curious, to understand the workers reality of work and the pressures and demands that they experienced when leadership made in congruent decisions (production requirements without resourcing).
    Attachment
    191031 Aide Memoire - Safety Tours (100K)
  • Don Ramsay
    We do behavioral safety observations as they do tend to ask more questions and the second page includes a guide, I will email a copy if you want it.
  • Don Ramsay
    I have the copy below
    Attachment
    Behavioural Safety Observation V01 (136K)
  • Terri Coopland
    Here are some of the guidance and questions I have used to get the leadership being visible on site for safety:
    - Go with courage and humility to walk the process with the operator(s)
    - How do you demonstrate adherence to a standard
    - How do we make deviations visible (work as done)
    - What ideas do you have for improving:
    o Your job
    o The workplace
    o The standards

Sometimes I would give them a topic to talk about with operators e.g. manual handing, What tasks do you do, how easy or difficult, How tired does it make you, what can be done to improve it.
  • Wayne Nicholl
    A couple to add from me:
    1. What do you think might hurt you and what can we do to make sure that doesn't happen?
    2. What could make your work easier - normally easier means safer ....
    Regards
    Wayne
  • Celeste Erasmus
    oh man I miss the construction.....
  • Celeste Erasmus
    I have Directors Walkthru's, developed a checklist where the specific Director, Restaurant Manager, consultant, myself, and several other people will be involved, and invitations will be sent to Finance, Marketing, IT, and other roleplayers. This checklist will also be used for other Management team members whom the Director will delegate country risks. We will basically do a walkthru of the store and check certain critical areas and ask questions as we move along. Sit down prior to the walkthru to discuss the walkthru and after the walkthru, the whole focus is to get the restaurant manager to physically show the Director what they need in their store to make it a safer workplace. It gives them a voice.
    Attachment
    Directors Walkthru - Templet (186K)
  • TracyRichardson
    I do two topics a month to generate safety conversations and minute them through the monthly safety and staff meetings, and put them on internal Facebook post.

On the safety board I have a form Better Way and Safety Concerns, which are also good conversation starters, enabling staff to raise issued or make suggestions for improvements at any time.
  • Sandra Nieuwoudt

Hi Tracy, do you mind sharing your form with me?
  • TracyRichardson
    Sure. Forms attached
    Attachments
    Better Way Form_SG (38K)
    Safety Concerns Form_SG (40K)
  • Candis Hawkins

Hi Sandra

Attached docx. we used for engaging in better Safety Conversations

We have Weekly Shared Learning across our buisness 1x Week H&S, 1X Week Enviro 1x Week Quality rotating continuously, attached are docx. use for the Weekly topic of Safety Conversations

We also have a question banks and topic prompts when first launched although have gotten away from that after 2 years. The tool is not for compliance although is measured, we use the H&S reporting platform as a place for recording safety convo's, it does have a statistical element in it, as ELT follows how many are recorded.

Although, the main purpose of having the convo in platform is it's able to be seen across the business in Daily Management Systems Meetings, so if it's relevant info for others they can keep sharing through each department
    Attachments
    Shared Learning - Health and Safety April 22 (567K)
    CEO-HS-conversations-2015 (1M)
  • Brook Jacobsen
    This is something I am working on, so I will copy and paste in my recent explanation to a software developer. One important piece of advice from my experience is, You should train your Management on how to have the conversation rather than how to "complete the form". Do NOT walk around with a form/clipboard, have the conversation and complete any documentation later. That form should be simple and not technical. The real fruit is not what's written, but more attitude and culture.
    My email to software dev:
    The Objective
    The intention of Safety/Behaviour Observations is purely based on Employee Engagement. Essentially, it’s a H&S Culture improvement tool. Not a “catch people out” tool.
    This visible demonstration of commitment to HSE should:
    • Focus attention on HSE (Health, Safety, Environment)
    • Vehicle for managers to demonstrate HSE leadership.
    • Opportunity to engage with employees.
    • Shows how well HSE is understood and applied.
    • Shows where systems are working well.
    • Helps identify and correct weaknesses in systems.
    • Raises awareness of HSE/SA issues
    • Identifies where people take risks.
    • Prevents injuries, illness and environmental impacts.
    • The company can gain a greater understanding how “Work is Imagined vs Work Done.” i.e. How aligned is the Reality and practicality vs our processes/standard operating procedures

The Observation must be based on behaviour and conversation rather than a technical assessment or in other words, The Observer does not need to be a Qualified or licenced worker to have an effective interaction/engagement. They only need to be trained in effective Engagement and Communication approach.

The observation will be a Visit and walk around of a work location, undertaken by Managers and Supervisors to observe working practices, engage with people and talk about health, safety, environment, and everyday working behaviors.
    Safety Observations are not:
    Safety Inspections – which are performed regularly to ensure a safe working environment is maintained
    Safety Audits – which are performed to verify how the requirements of the OHS management system: procedures, instructions, objectives, plans, schedules, etc. are being implemented
    Obviously, those types of check is covered by a different tools and Approaches (i.e., Worksite Safety Assessments, Vehicle Checks, Audits)
  • Trudy Downes

Hi Don
    While having a look at your form I noticed a term "evaporative behaviour", would you explain what this is please?

Thanks!
  • Don Ramsay
    yes it is easy evaporative behavior is when they know they know what to do but choose not to do it unless some one is watching, and example is that they must wear safety glasses at all times and you note that they only do it when they see you.
  • Trudy Downes

Got it! The good behaviour evaporates once the watching eye has moved on. That makes a lot of sense, thank you.
  • Jono Johnson
    Jeez mate I like that "evaporative behaviour" expression, I think we know a certain organisation that excelled at that :lol:
  • Rima Urangia
    Kia ora,
    In looking through the submissions on this forum there are a lot of great ideas and thoughts being practiced and coming through.

I like "evaporative behaviour" reference as it demonstrates how the observer changes the conditions of the workplace, and becomes part of the process, changing the process.

My experiences with observations have led to some interesting findings, here are some brief ones before I run off to a meeting:
    Senior leaders are outside of their comfort zone when out in the operation (in most cases)
    Team them up with an HSR or someone from the operation who can act as a guide and liaison, facilitating introductions, of staff to leader.
    The HSR may have a particular problem that a senior leader could fix, which they could guide them too or,
    The senior leader may want to look observe a specific practice/risk.
    The best observations involve a leader simply asking:
    "How is everything going today?"
    "I'm doing an observation and would be interested in what you are doing, could you talk me through the process"
    "I noticed this/that and I am curious as to why this/that is occurring/happening/in this particular location."
    Ran out of time, but the list could be very lengthy.

I hope this is helpful.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.