• Brendon Ward
    Hi all,

Putting together some guidance on crane inspections.

We have gantry cranes in our workshops. These are used on a daily basis.

For those with similar hardware, how often are inspections carried out?

Brendon
  • Brendon Ward
    By inspections I'm referring to operator checks.
  • Steve H
    Hello Brendon,I'm guessing you've taken a look at the Acop for cranes?
    3.2 Routine Checking
    Every controller of a crane shall ensure that:
    (1) operators carry out appropriate checks to enable the crane to be operated
    safely, according to the controller’s written procedures based on the
    manufacturer’s instructions where available, and that the controller can
    demonstrate that the checks have been carried out

(2) the controlled range feature, where fitted on radio-controlled cranes, is
    tested at suitable intervals, and that at the beginning of each shift, or
    where there is a change in the crane operator, the controlled range is
    checked to ensure that it is in accordance with the limits specified for its
    operation.
    https://www.worksafe.govt.nz/topic-and-industry/cranes/
  • Brendon Ward
    Yes - looked at the ACOP. Interested in the frequency :)
  • Helen T
    I would think these would be done each time an operator went to use the crane?
  • Brendon Ward
    Thanks for your response. The checks I am referring to are documented checks rather than a pre-operational visual check.
  • MattD2
    If you can (i.e. they are still in business) I would be asking the manufacture for advice rather than an internet forum (although I assume your question is more to gauge what is normal than specific advice). If you can't contact the manufacture, then you may get some good advice regarding periodic maintenance and checks from someone at the Maintenance Engineering Society of NZ (https://mesnz.org.nz/).

the checks I am referring to are documented checks rather than a pre-operational visual check.Brendon Ward
    rather than "documented checks" the better evidence would be to have a (working) Preventative Maintenance program and the proof being maintenance work records (e.g. work orders or POs) to inspect/identified, and carried out maintenance work as required.
    (I am assuming that the gantry crane has a current certificate of inspection, and your question is regarding what is practical above the minimum statutory requirements)
  • Steve Schroder
    The operator should do a daily check that looks at the condition of things like the changs (visabale wear etc) and any of the lifting gear as well as the remote. as for the ganty itself, i have always erred on the side of not having an operator check the ganrtry itself rather implamenting a regular maintainence and complaiance regime to capture any fulats there.

By the 2 fold approch you are giving ownership to th operators for the equiment and ensuring that they check it (just make sure it is not a tickbox!) and then the wrap around of the maintainence by a competant and qualified professional to by service the equipment and certify the lifting equipment use.

Hope this helps!
  • Steve H
    As per the Acop, what do the makers of the cranes that you are using recommend? You are responsible for developing the checks and frequency to suit your situation and providing the documentation.
  • Robb
    You need to follow numerous duties under the PECPR Regs; as this is a legal requirement, I suggest you start here.
    As far as 'required' inspections, you need to have a current certificate of inspection, commonly known as an M&I certificate. These are valid for 12 months.
    Any other inspections are as you decide, such as frequency and content.
    Go to the Crane Associations Shop - they have a Gantry Crane inspection book available to buy
    https://shop.cranes.org.nz/en-NZ/products/8999/Gantry-Checks-Lite-Version-/
  • Nancy Robbie
    I had a similar issue at my last workplace but I couldn't get management on board unfortunately but I did find a recommended schedule depending on hours of operation on the Monocrane website as follows:
    https://monocrane.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Crane-Service-Period.pdf
    I hope it helps.
    Nancy
  • Don Ramsay
    send me your email address I have a few versions that may suit your sitaution
  • rebecca telfer

Hi Brendon
    I also have gantry cranes in my workshops.
    These are inspected every morning, by an apprentice
    Maintained by Vermissimo on an annual basis
    Inspected and recertified annually by SGS.
  • Don Ramsay
    I have some samples of daily crane checklists if you want them.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.