• Roger Claessens
    Hi Team!
    Does anyone have a recommendation (good or bad) for a NZ based H&S app for an organisation with just over 100 staff specializing in Geotech, Structural Eng, Surveying, Planning and Infrastructure. Currently we do a paper version but believe this has come to the end of its lifetime. Mainly to store JHA's, audits, incident reporting and near misses.
    Many Thanks
  • MichaelWilson
    I had a look at them recently. Very expensive compared to the competition.

Have a look at safe365
  • Tony Walton
    Why can't this be done on Google Docs (with password system) based on what you say you want to use it for?
  • Don Ramsay
    We use Damstra Vault, not the greatest but gets the job done, we are also looking around for an HSEQ system so any recommendations would be greatly accepted.
  • Yonny Yeung
    We have our own inhouse programme. It's very expensive, but it is tailored to our industry, so can't complain.

From my last HSR training course, we all talked about what HSEQ systems we use. The most popular one is Mango. A few councils and companies use it. It can be used on a tablet or smartphone, so you can take photos and upload them on the move.

I have also heard of SiteDocs and SiteAppPro as well.
  • Gina
    We use Engage - https://engagesolutions.co.nz/
    Based in Auckland, really helpful and easy to contact.
    All our staff use the mobile app, and we log onto the desktop on computers.
    It covers everything that we need, making audits to fit our needs including adding photos, tracking everything, setting tasks and reminders, the ability to log incidents on the app, access to policies and procedures on the phone app, and access to any documents that you want through the app.
  • Sonya Tulett
    I have reviewed a lot of SMS and finally decided on Mango, the main reason was it is intuitive, it manages all HSEQ and training, the field guys can use the app to load events, conduct audits, raise improvements etc in the field, also has the ability to align with ISO standards, the auditing tool is also very useful in the field. Highly recommend it, i have used the vault also but would rate Mango as a better product.
  • Alan Boswell
    Hi, Previous to my current position I had been a consultant for around 5 years and introduced several clients to SMS Apps based on what their core business is. Horses for courses! However the one I have introduced here is by far the best I have come across for functional configurability and customization. Check out the SHE Assure system through Evotix - highly recommended
    https://www.evotix.com/solutions/assure-health-safety-ehs-software
  • Andy Huntley
    Have a look at BWARE (bware.co.nz) it is incredibly good value and feature rich. It has advantages over MANGO if you feel you will task or action different individuals for event investigations for example. MANGO limits it to one nominated person which I found infuriating. BWARE is fairly flexible so I have built audit and inspection tools into the product and it rapidly creates SSSPs, I have yet to find any other system with that capacity. but it does take time and effort to leverage the system to its full potential. It isn't as pretty as ecoportal but is a fraction of the cost.
  • Jackie A
    I run www.engagesolutions.co.nz . We cover all aspects of health and safety in a very integrated way including incidents / hazards / actions / training / uniforms and asset maintenance. An integrated form builder allows you to create the forms you need and automated alerts and actions ensure everyone knows what's happening in real time. Available on web and mobile / online and offline. We have many customers in construction and civils but we also go across manufacturing and distribution / forestry / even veterinary industries. We are NZ based and a lot more cost effective than other solutions. Please contact me if you'd like to take a look? Happy to provide no obligation access.
  • Chayne Zinsli
    We currently use Mango and it is relatively cheap and comes with most of what you'll need. However, it does have annoying limitations especially around field names, required fields, and, as mentioned above, standard processes. From previous experience, there is no one perfect solution - they are either too simplistic or too complicated and expensive and even the complicated and expensive ones will not give you what you want (need?). As Tony suggested, if what you want is straight forward, have a look at Google Docs or MicroSofts 365 suite. The tools being packaged into these systems have a lot of the functionality you are paying for in an H&S system without the flexibility and there are plenty of people out there that can help you build something to suit you.
  • Joe Boyle
    anyone use Safe365?
  • Nick martin
    Yes we you ManGo as well
  • Craig Carlyle
    Check out HasTrak. Kiwi run and developed. Backed up with executive reporting to help keep you on track. Full access to global document library as well as load your own. Not expensive to run either.
    https://hastrak.co.nz/health-and-safety-systems/
  • John Frampton
    I am an indépendant health & safety advisor and as such I have to work with whatever system the company that I am contracted to has embraced. I have encountered many systems which are in use in the country but Bware is undoubtedly my 'go to' system. If I am engaged with a company who do not have a robust IT health and safety system, I then will put them in contact with the Bware team. They have just gone through an extensive upgrade and their system is user friendly for companies within construction industry and most other aspects of the business community.

At the current time their website is being upgraded, so I would recommend getting in touch with them directly as the current website does not reflect the quality of their product now. Another alternative is to contact myself personally. Good luck with your search.
  • Janet Mary Houston
    I've been using BWARE at Kapiti Coast Airport for the last couple of years - the team are always helpful, it is NZ based, adaptable to most environments and a very reasonably cost.
  • Peter Dix
    Hi Roger - I work at Damstra and we provide that type of software... happy to have a chat on the phone if you like :-)
    cheers
    Pete
  • Leanne Summers

Totally agree - MangoLive is excellent
  • Sheri Greenwell
    I've just started working with a large organisation that is using Smartsheet and Power BI to manage its HSW activities - really powerful and efficiently linked to support extensive weekly management reports that keep HSW performance on the senior leadership team's radar. It's a bit to get my head around in a short period of time, but so well set up and integrated with many other business functions.
  • James Williamson
    Hi Roger
    I am using Saferme, nice and easy to use and you can setup your own forms to suit your team. Also builds Hazard and training register. send me an email and I will show you how it's working for us.
    NZ based app with great support staff. We are using QR codes for sign-ins and reporting.
  • Henry Samson
    Can definitely recommend SaferMe, I have many clients using this intuitive HS reporting platform, it does everything you need. It’s simple to use and enables offline reporting.

It’s fully customisable to fit any business and the support is world class.
  • Steve Schroder
    Late to reply to this, but it honestly depends on your budget and what you want to get out of it.
    Beware is a good option for a good alrounder, but there are some other options out there, like some of the ones that have been suggested here.
    but once again an undertsanding of scope and budget are imporant when loking at this sort of stuff
  • Leanne Summers
    We use MangoLive which is excellent!
  • Shaun Galway
    I have worked for safety software companies in NZ and rolled out software to many small to large organizations in NZ and Australia and have certainly reviewed most of the systems on the market, Vault, SHE, Mango, Ecoportal, Engage, Safe365, I have just rolled out a new system that fit the current business I am working in. you don't want a system that is going to be too hard to manage or be too hard for your employees to work on, clunky software is definitely in the market, but one key thing is what is behind the system, it is people, so really important is who you're dealing with at the software company, one they must know their product, In November 2021 I had a demo from a well-known company for a company that I thought would be good fit for another client , but the person doing the presentation knew nothing about safety and didn't know his product, so important the software company actually has people who know their own product. Don't be fooled by their pretty demonstrations as a safety professional in your business you know what will be best. The software I recently rolled out is Engage, I rolled out to a business of 160 employees and really fit the business. The people behind the software make the difference. It is important you do your homework first. and work on the right fit for the business, I am happy to chat further if you want to hear some of the key areas to look at
  • Charles de Lambert
    SaferMe (www.safer.me) is good practical App that is very relevant and easy to operate for the smaller organisation. There is great support, they listen and they are developing new aspects and applications all the time.
  • Craig Carlyle
    I had a demo from a well-known company for a company that I thought would be good fit for another client , but the person doing the presentation knew nothing about safety and didn't know his product, so important the software company actually has people who know their own product. I hear you Shaun. There is a big difference between products that are sales pitches, and companies like ours that have boots on the ground. H&S software written by H&S practitioners, for H&S system management. Happy to engage with anyone wanting to go paperless and IMPROVE their H&s management, or just chat to us at www.hastrak.co.nz
  • Alana Bruce
    Has anyone used HSE connect? If so, pros and con's compared to others?
  • Sam M
    Hi Roger - given the field your team are working they may already use ArcGIS. In the ArcGIS suite of tools QuickCapture or Survey123 can do everything and more without having to use clunky H&S software.
  • Henry Samson
    SaferMe works well especially if you’ve got staff working remotely with an offline reporting capability. Also intuitive form building, risk management and training matrix components.

The tech support is outstanding which is vital with any reporting platform.
  • Mark Taylor
    I would select an app that goes beyond compliance based reporting of hazards, incidents and other notifications. I'm concerned that many apps allow duplication of previous tasks and risks without allowing sufficient time for worker engagement to recognise changes in environments, work schedules, people's learning needs and various other factors.
    Almost every checklist, form, schedule can be created using a google platform of some type for free and uploaded using a csv to collate and interpret the results.
    I believe that the use of apps to some degree has taken away the need for good safety conversations at the coalface and maybe contributed to additional risks as a result
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.