• Aaron Marshall
    I was at an industry conference last week, and a government department sent out an email asking for what was generally considered excessive information.
    I'm just curious, what sort of safety management info do companies usually have to supply for government contracts?
  • Yonny Yeung
    I usually get about two PDFs to read through, each has 150+ pages.
    Then there is a separate list of things you have to provide. That list is usually about 60 questions. With each yes answer, you have to send in supporting SOP / training record. For the past three years, how many incidents (and separately near miss) per 1,000 hours worked.

I have seen some companies that have copied this idea over to theirs, and requiring similar level of scrutiny as part of their prequalification process.

Speaking of government department - I remember getting a call every year for the past three years to say they are from ACC and they need to do a survey and needed every single details of the H&S Officer. Haven't seen such survey yet. Wouldn't take no for an answer, saying I am breaking the law. I think someone just harvesting our data, as they can say who they really are on the phone these days.
  • Aaron Marshall

Interesting. Do any of your safety management systems have government approval?

Our industry's operations manuals (including safety systems) have to be approved by CAANZ, and even Worksafe don't carry out investigations, the delegate it to CAA.
    However, we have another government department expecting to be able to judge how safe an operator is simply by reviewing their manuals.
    We have all seen companies who have excellent documentation, but an abysmal attitude to safety.
  • Yonny Yeung
    Hi Aaron,
    No, not in my current job. Same for many industries.

My last job was in an airline, so yes totally understand what you mean. Civil Aviation Rules are so comprehensive. If it's not in it, you don't need to know about it.
    Maritime NZ also has the same delegation as well.

I think there are a few companies out there who have a stack of documents related to tasks carried out by workers, but many workers have not seen them before. No signed record of must read notices related to the new procedures or induction record of reading and understanding procedures.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.